- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked wheat berries
- ½ cup minced shallots
- ¼ cup cranberry juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coarsely chopped dried cranberries
- ½ cup coarsely chopped dried cherries
- ½ cup (2 ounces) diced Gouda or Edam cheese (optional)
- ⅓ cup chopped scallions
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine water and wheat berries in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Combine shallots and next 6 ingredients (shallots through salt) in a large bowl. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Add wheat berries, cranberries, and remaining ingredients to vinaigrette, and toss to combine. Chill at least 4 hours or overnight.