Blueberry Bash Contest 2013-Honorable Mention – Carole O’Brien
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups shredded summer squash
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350o. Grease a muffin tin (cast iron if you have it!).
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom in a large mixing bowl. Sift to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine applesauce, vanilla, maple syrup, and coconut oil. With a wooden spoon, stir to combine. Set aside.
- Add blueberries, shredded summer squash, and chocolate chips to applesauce mixture and fold to combine. Be careful not to crush the blueberries!
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stir gently until all flour mixture is incorporated.
- Fill muffin tins half way to three-quarters full.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Original recipe by Carole O’Brien