A simple yet delicious soup, perfect for a hearty winter lunch or dinner.
- 1 Vidalia onion
- 3 Yukon potatoes
- 2 ounces butter
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Parsley (for garnish)
- Peel and dice the onion and potatoes.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion and cook for one minute, coating completely in butter.
- Add the potatoes and toss well with the onion and melted butter.
- Cover the saucepan and sweat the vegetables for 10 minutes, shaking the pot every few minutes to prevent sticking.
- Pour in the stock and simmer the soup for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool. Purée the soup using a hand-held blender or in batches in a blender.
- Add the heavy cream and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reheat to serve, and garnish with a swirl of cream and parsley.
Source: Irish American Mom