Created by Carmila Barbosa, this recipe won First Place in the 2021 Blueberry Bake-Off Competition.
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¾ cups powdered sugar
- 3 egg whites at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Sift almond flour & powdered sugar together; set bowl aside.
- Using a double boiler, add eggs and sugar; whisk until frothy and sugar has melted. Then put egg and sugar mixture into a standard mixer and beat on high until stiff peaks form; it should be glossy and peaks should stand.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients and mix a “J” pattern vigorously.
- Add 1/3 of dry ingredients and repeat last step.
- Add last 1/3 of dry ingredients and repeat last step. Don’t over-mix!
- After you have incorporated all dry ingredients, mix in “8” formation until it doesn’t break. Then transfer to piping bag and pipe out the macaron cookies about 1 ½ inches.
- Bake macaron cookies for 16 minutes, check at 8 minutes, rotate the pan.
- Let cookies cool.
- 4 cups of blueberries
- 2 cups of water
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Add your blueberries and water to a pot and simmer for 15 minutes on Medium Heat.
- Add 1 cup of your sugar and simmer again for 30 minutes.
- Add cornstarch and mix with standard mixer on Low-Medium speed till smooth. Refrigerate till cool.
- Mix again, adding another half cup of sugar. Once incorporated, strain. It should be like liquid.
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 sticks of softened butter
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup of blueberry filling
- Trust the process! First on high speed beat the butter till creamy. Then add your powdered sugar. Beat on low. Once incorporated, add both milk and heavy cream. Mix on high; it may look separated but once blended thoroughly it will be smooth.
- Next divide the frosting in half, pour the blueberry filling in one half.
- Get a piping bag and smear the white on the side and the purple on the other side; it should turn out like a marbled pattern.