For an entrée salad the whole family will devour, try spinach salad with bacon and eggs. Top crisp, fresh spinach with sliced bacon and eggs for a complete and satisfying balanced meal.
- 3 whole eggs
- 7 slices thick-cut peppered bacon
- 1 small whole red onion
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 dash salt
- 8 ounces spinach, cut, washed, dried and stems removed
- Place the eggs in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Then turn off the heat and allow to sit in the water for 20 minutes. Drain off the water and add ice on top of the eggs.
- Fry the bacon in a skillet until crispy/chewy. Remove to a paper towel. Drain the fat into a bowl and reserve. Give the skillet a wipe with kitchen paper.
- Slice the red onion very thinly, and then add to the skillet. Cook slowly until the onions are caramelized and reduced. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Chop the bacon. Peel and slice the eggs.
- Make the hot bacon dressing: Add 3 tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat (or you can use 3 tablespoons olive oil), vinegar, sugar, Dijon and salt to a small saucepan or skillet over medium-low heat. Whisk together and heat thoroughly until bubbly. Add the spinach to a large bowl. Arrange the onions, mushrooms and bacon on top. Pour the hot dressing over the top; toss to combine. Arrange the eggs over the top and serve.