The flavor of fresh spinach adds a mellow earthly flavor to Pesto – a classic fresh Italian sauce traditionally prepared with basil. For convenience, a blender or food processor make for fast, delicious results with this recipe. Serve this spring pesto tossed into pasta along with crumbled feta cheese or as a sauce for grilled fish and meats.
Makes 2 cups (plenty of sauce for 16 ounces of people)
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach leaves
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 12 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino romano cheese or parmesan
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine the spinach, garlic, oil and pine nuts in a blender or food processor, and blend to form a smooth paste. Stir in the cheese and balsamic vinegar. Season to taste with the salt and pepper. The sauce will keep, covered tightly, for several days in the refrigerator. Allow it to come to room temperature before serving.