Packed with nutrients, this crunchy hearty salad is filling and delicious.
For the dressing:
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 medium shallot
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
For the salad:
- 3 cups very thinly sliced Terhune Orchards tuscano kale
- 1 ½ cups quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Terhune Orchards empire apples cut into ¼ size pieces
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 4 oz crumbled feta cheese
- In a small bowl whisk together the lemon, honey, shallot and salt. Add the olive oil in a thin stream, whisking as you go. Set aside
- Put the kale in a serving bowl, add the dressing, massage the kale by squeezing handfuls for a couple minutes and then set aside to rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Put the quinoa in a saucepan, heat to medium and stir 5-8 minutes until you can smell the nutty aroma and have toasted the seeds. Rinse the quinoa in a fine sieve and then add 3 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan, cover and set over high heat. Note: Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and cook until all the water is absorbed., about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, and let sit 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork and add it to the bowl with the kale.
- Set a large skillet over medium- high heat. Add oil, heat for 1 minute and then add apples and the ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes, add sugar and continue cooking until apples turn golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Add apples to the bowl with the quinoa, and then add pine nuts and feta and toss until the dressing is evenly distributed.