This salad is a refreshing combination of veggies made hearty with the bread croutons. A diced peach would add a flavorful topping to this dish.
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 small French bread or boule, cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Terhune Orchards large, ripe tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Terhune Orchards cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 Terhune Orchards red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Terhune Orchards yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 red onion, cut in 1/2 and thinly sliced
- 20 Terhune Orchards basil leaves, coarsely chopped
For the vinaigrette
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large saute pan. Add the bread and salt; cook over low to medium heat, tossing frequently, for 10 minutes, or until nicely browned. Add more oil as needed.
For the vinaigrette, whisk all the ingredients together.
In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, yellow pepper, red onion, basil, and capers. Add the bread cubes and toss with the vinaigrette. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Serve, or allow the salad to sit for about half an hour for the flavors to blend.