In the winter, citrus lightens this dish and gives it a fresh flavor.
- 1 lemon (or substitute other citrus such as grapefruit or orange)
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 pkg. (5 oz.) arugula
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 oz. Parmesan cheese, shaved
- With paring knife, cut top and bottom off lemon. Cut peel and pith away from lemon; then, into small bowl, cut segments from between membranes. Cut each segment in half. Squeeze 1 tablespoon juice from pulp. Sprinkle sugar over lemon segments; let stand at least 10 minutes.
- In large bowl, toss arugula with oil, lemon segments, juice, ¼ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper. Gently fold in Parmesan. To serve, shave additional Parmesan on top if desired. Serve immediately.