Blueberry Bash Bake-Off Winner 2012 Honorable Mention – Karen Mazanek
- 1 1/4 cup Crisco vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 3 cups all purpose flour
Cream Crisco with boiling water until well mixed with electric mixer. Add combined salt, sugar and flour all at once and stir well until thoroughly mixed. Form into a disk and chill in plastic wrap for at least one hour.
- 6 cups Terhune Orchards fresh blueberries
- 1 1/4 cup wild blueberries
- 3 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp tapioca flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch or so of kosher salt
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold
- 1 Tbsp light cream
- Combine all filling ingredients in bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out crust and form into a 9-inch pie pan. Place in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Place blueberry mixture in pie plate then in oven for 30 minutes.
- Make topping: Combine flour, pecans, sugar and salt in food processor and pulse several times to chop nuts. Scatter butter over top and pulse again. Transfer to bowl and rub together to form chunky crumbs. Wrap and refrigerate until ready to use
- Remove pie from oven and turn down to 375 degrees. Place crumb topping on pie and continue to bake for 30 minutes more.