2013-1st Prize — Allison O’Brien
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided in half
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed and chilled
- 4 tsp arrowroot or cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 Tbsp Thai Basil or Lemon Balm, chiffonade
- Preheat oven to 375o and grease an 8 X 8 baking dish.
- In a food processor, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and lemon zest. Pulse to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and vanilla. Set aside.
- Pull apart cubes of butter and add to flour mixture in processor bowl.
- Add egg yolk mixture to food processor bowl and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs and begins to pull away from sides of bowl. Be careful not to over process or you will end up with dough.
- Press 2/3 of crumb mixture into bottom of baking dish. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine arrowroot or cornstarch, sugar, and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Fold in blueberries and stir to coat evenly. Sprinkle basil into mixture. Pour over crust and sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and done.
Original recipe by Allison O’Brien, Natural Chef.