Each year at our Blueberry Bash, local amateur bakers enter our Blueberry Bakeoff contest. The not so secret ingredient is blueberries.
2018 Blueberry Bake Off 1st Place Winner: Tova Meyer
Tart Shell (adapted from Smitten Kitchen and Dorie Greenspan)
Makes enough for one 9-inch tart crust
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick plus 1 tablespoon (9 tablespoons) very cold salted butter, cut into small pieces
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Frangipane (Almond Filling)
2/3 cup finely blanched almonds
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
7 Tbsp granulated sugar
Pinch of kosher salt
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 cups blueberries
1. Pulse the flour and salt together in the bowl of a food processor. Scatter the pieces of butter over the dry ingredients and pulse until the butter is coarsely cut in, so that it looks like flakes with some pea-sized chunks. Add the egg a little at a time, pulsing after each addition. When the egg is in, process in long pulses-about 10 seconds each- until the dough forms clumps and curds. Turn the dough out onto a work surface and, very lightly and sparingly, press the dough together just enough to incorporate any dry ingredients that might have escaped mixing.
2. Butter a 9-inch fluted tart pan with a removeable bottom. Press the dough evenly across the bottom and up the sides of the tarts shell.
3. Freeze the crust for at least 30 minutes, preferably longer, before baking.
4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and place a rack in the center of the oven. Butter they shiny side of a piece of aluminum foil and fit the foil, buttered side down, tightly against the crust. Put the tart pan on a baking sheet and bake the crust for 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Carefully remove the foil. If the crust has puffed, press it down gently with the back of a spoon. Bake the crust about 10 minutes longer to fully bake it, or until it is firm and golden brown. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool the crust to room temperature.
To assemble filling:
Makes enough for the filling of the one 9-inch tart.
1.Finely grind almonds and flour in the processor. Mix in 7 Tbsp of sugar and a pinch of salt, the butter and almond extract.
2. Blend until smooth. Mix in egg and transfer to a medium bowl.
3.Cover and chill at least 3 hours
To Assemble Tart:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Fill pre-baked tart shell (still in pan) with frangipane.
3. Scatter 2 cup NJ blueberries evenly across the frangipane
4. Place tart on baking sheet and bake on center rack for 45-50 minutes, until golden and tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Cool tart completely. Carefully remove from pan and serve.