This delicious salad includes apple cider, farro, bacon, grilled cheese and apples – all combined to make a filling meal!
- 2 c. apple cider
- 1 c. quick-cooking farro
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 4 slices bacon
- 8 oz. Halloumi, sliced 1/3-inch thick. (this is a grilling cheese, you can substitute other cheese and just skip the step 3 below)
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large crisp red apple (such as Cameo), cored and thinly sliced
- 1 c. red seedless grapes, halved
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 bunch arugula, thick stems discarded
- In a medium saucepan, combine cider, farro and a pinch salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until tender, 10 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; break into pieces when cool.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the drippings and return skillet to medium-high heat. Add Halloumi and cook, until golden-brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into ½-inch pieces.
- In lg. bowl, whisk together vinegar and ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Add onion and toss to coat; let sit 5 minutes. Add apple and grapes and toss to combine. Add farro, drizzle with olive oil and toss to combine. Fold in arugula and bacon and top with Halloumi.