A refreshing medley of summer flavors, this salad is great for summer picnics and barbecues. Terhune Orchards’ fresh zucchini and summer corn (now available in the farm store!) sliced right off the cob require very little cooking to tenderize and bring out their best qualities. Just steam gently and dress in this simple vinaigrette.
- 6 large earns of corn, shucked
- 2 medium-sized zucchini, washed and trimmed
- 1 bunch fresh basil, washed and dried
- 3 tablespoons raspberry or apple vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- Slice the kernels off the cobs. Discard the cobs and reserve the kernels.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, and then slice each half into ¼ inch thick crescents. Arrange the corn and zucchini in a large steamer basket and place over hot water. Cover and steam for 5-8 minutes or until just barely tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together the vinegar, oil, salt, sugar and water. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper as desired. Sprinkle on the corn and zucchini. Finely chop basil and add, toss well and adjust seasonings as needed. Serve immediately or cover and chill until ready to serve.