Each year at our Blueberry Bash, local amateur bakers enter our Blueberry Bakeoff contest. The not so secret ingredient is blueberries.
2018 Blueberry Bake Off 3rd Place Winner:Disha Hegde
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp heavy cream
1 stick of cold, unsalted butter cut in cubes
Custard and Blueberry Filling:
2 3/4 cup milk
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
zest of lemon
4 egg yolks
2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups blueberries
1/8 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp lemon juice
For the crust:
1. Combine flour, powdered sugar in food processor.
2. Cut 1 stick of butter in to pieces and pulse with dry ingredients in food processor. Add 1 egg yolk and 1 tbsp of heavy cream and pulse until dough is formed.
3. Press dough into a roll and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Slice dough into 12 pieces, roll into a circle and press into tart molds or muffin tins.
4. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes until golden brown.
For the custard and blueberry filling
1. Combine milk, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 6 minutes whisking every 3 minutes.
2. Add butter and vanilla extract.
3. On stove top combine 3 tbsp water, ¼ cup sugar, 2 cups blueberries, and lemon juice and cook over medium heat on sauce pan for 20 minutes.
4. Once blueberry compote is chilled, combine custard and compote. Place filling in tart crust and decorate with blueberries.