2017 Blueberry Bake Off Tied for 2nd Place: Abby Meola
2 cups all purpose flour
¼ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup butter, unsalted
½ cup confectioner’s sugar
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp lemon zest
Jam (or use your favorite, like Terhune’s)
2 cups blueberries
1 cup sugar
½ Tbsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp nutmeg
Directions for Cookie:
1. In a large bowl, beat together room temperature butter and sugar. Next beat in egg, vanilla and lemon zest. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt (if it is so sticky that it sticks to your fingers, add up to 2 Tbsp more of flour).
2. Chill dough for one hour.
3. Heat oven to 350F. Roll dough to about ¼ inch thickness (my Grandpa always says “thickness is key.”) Use a cookie cutter to cut out identical cookies sets, one full cookie and one with the center cut out. Arrange the full cookies (with centers) on one tray, and those without on another. Bake full cookies 8-10 minutes, and partial cookies 6-8 minutes.
4. When cool, spread jam on full cookies and top each with the center out cookie top. Dust with extra confectioner’s sugar.
Directions for Jam (if making homemade):
1. Mash blueberries in a bowl so that all of the skin is broken.
2. Add other ingredients and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
3. Lower heat and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the foamy bubbles go away and it is firm enough to coat the back of a spoon. Refrigerate before spreading on cookies.