This crumble puts the focus on the apples, which we love here at Terhune Orchards. The foundation with plenty of delicious apples and a light mixture of streusel, placed on after the apples bake down, helps keep the apples moist and the topping light.
- 4 pounds (12 cups!) Terhune Orchards Golden Delicious or Jonathan apples, peeled, cored, and cut into ¾-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons packed plus ½ cup packed dark brown sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon table salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sliced almonds, chopped fine
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter,melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons water
- Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lowest positions and heat oven to 400 degrees. Toss apples, 2 tablespoons sugar, lemon juice, ½ teaspoon salt, and cinnamon together in large bowl. Transfer to 8-inch square baking pan with at least 2-inch sides and press into even layer. Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil and place on rimmed baking sheet. Transfer sheet to oven and bake on lower rack for 35 minutes.
- While apples bake, whisk flour, almonds, remaining ½ cup sugar, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt in medium bowl until combined. Add melted butter, vanilla, and water and stir with spatula until clumps form and no dry flour remains.
- Remove sheet from oven and smooth top of apples with spatula. If apples have not collapsed enough to leave at least ¼ inch of space below rim of pan, replace foil, return sheet to oven, and continue to bake 5 to 15 minutes longer.
- Scatter topping evenly over apples, breaking up any clumps larger than a marble. Transfer sheet to upper rack and bake until topping is evenly browned and filling is just bubbling at edges, 25 to 35 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack and let cool for at least 45 minutes before serving.
- Top with Arctic vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, both available at Terhune Orchards.